| Southey Hall Southey Hall Boys
Preparatory School, Bookham was very successful and highly respected with
many pupils going on to Bradfield College, Charterhouse, Oxford and Cambridge
but the school was not always at Bookham - it appears to have started
life about 1885 in a building in Southey Road , Worthing . The records
are few and far between, but it appears to have been established by three
Wood sisters, Sarah, Mary and Anne aged 42, 39 and 37 all unmarried. Because
Sarah was the oldest she was the Head of the school. It was a boarding
school for boys. In early 1924 Mr. and Mrs. Fussell purchased
Eastwick Park and changed the name to Southey Hall Boys Preparatory
School . The size of Eastwick Park meant that the school could
be built up to be a major ‘preparatory’ school. The original school
in Worthing was sold and became the ‘Southey Hall Hotel’. In 1953 the
building was converted to flats and was called ‘Southey Hall Flatlets’.
It is still a block of flats but it is now known as ‘Dolphin Court ’
By the time of the beginning of WW2 Henry Fussell was about 60 and it was a good time for him to retire and hand over the headship to his son Denis Fussell in 1940. Denis was then 33 and single in which state he remained to his death in 1977, in Southampton, aged 70. Henry did not have a long retirement as he died in 1941 aged only 63. At that time he was living in the New Forest area and his wife continued to live there until 1962 when she died, aged 78. In 1954 Mr. D. Fussell resigned and the position of Headmaster was taken up by the Deputy Headmaster, Mr. Lock, who had been with the school for many years. However, the financial burden of running such a large establishment, in the changing times that were the 1950's, proved to be such that the school was no longer a viable business proposition and, despite the best efforts of Mr. Lock and the goodwill of several of the parents, the school had to close. Mr. Locke amalgamated Southey Hall with Little Abbey Prep School, Burghclere, Newbury and the building and it's grounds sat empty for several years before being taken over by the local council who were looking for a site for a new Primary School.. The B&W photographs below are a series of postcards that were donated by 'Southey Old Boy' Mr. N. Suffield-Jones who attended Southey Hall from 1948-1952. An explanation of some of the photographs has been provided by another 'Southey Old Boy', Mr. C. Butt and thanks also to 'Old Boys', Mr. R. Reynolds and Mr. J. Good for additional information. |
|
|
|
|
| Southey Hall - Worthing | Dormitory | Eton Fives Courts | Main Hall |
|
|
|
|
| Dining Room | Games | Southey Hall | Tennis |