Fetcham War Memorials - Introduction
The purpose of this website is to
change the names on Fetcham's war memorials from
inscriptions to people.
It is hoped that over time
members of their family or those the families of those who
knew them may come forward with information and photos about
the life behind the name. There may also be information from
the local newspapers or church or club magazines of the
of Fetcham, JC Stuttard, p72 (L&DLHS, 1998]
In the concluding months of the war a fund was inaugurated by the Residents' Association for returning ex-servicemen and it soon topped the £1,000 mark. This fund was to help those in the war to resettle into civilian life and provide support for their families. After the benefit payments were met, the remaining funds were used to inscribe on the war memorial the names of those who did not return and had been killed in action. An illuminated Book of Remembrance was prepared and it is from this volume that their names are read on each Remembrance Sunday. An additional plaque was placed in the Parish Church alongside the First World War memorial. The stone memorial that had stood since 1919 at the junction of River Lane and Cobham Road was dismantled and re-erected near the church in the newly purchased area now known as the Memorial Gardens in The Ridgeway.
War Memorial Plaques and the Book of
Remembrance in St Mary's, Fetcham
Cross of Remembrance